1. Rose, over at Refracted Light, has reviewed Jay Lake's Mainspring. She objects to the crazy monkey sex section (take that, search engines!), which did strike me as one of the weaker parts of the book, because it was somewhat gratuitous. And yes, you should take "monkey" literally - there is an intelligent apewoman involved. It reminded me of the interspecies stuff in one of the Ringworld books.
2. I finally got around to watching Sunshine. I didn't like it as much as Gabriel did. It had many striking visual moments, some interesting ideas, and I generally liked the actors.* But it couldn't seem to make up its mind: should it be a thoughtful, innovative sf film, with an indie vibe? You know, something off the beaten track. Or should it aim to be the stereotypical, nonsensical Hollywood blockbuster action movie featuring the painfully hackneyed villain who just won't die? The first half chose the first option, but the second half devolved into a clash between the indie vibe and the blockbuster. The blockbuster kept winning out until finally I reached the heckling, eye-rolling stage. I wished the sun would die, just so the movie would be over. But check out the well-written SF Gospel review, which points out some of the intriguing aspects of the film.
*Nice to see some real ethnic diversity, including the psychologist played by Cliff Curtis. Though (as usual) the white characters survived longer than the non-white ones. Sigh. It's like non-white characters are redshirts.
Friday, May 09, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I just saw that movie, and your assessment is pretty much on target as far as I'm concerned.
It was an awful feeling when I realized that the pretty and vapid Capa going to outlive everyone else.
And there was far too much crying and whinging for my taste. You'd think with the fate of Earth depending on the success of their mission, enough mentally stable people could have been found to crew the ship.
I wanted it to be good and obviously I am still bitterly disappointed about it.
Dawn
As you remember, I didn't much like that sex scene either. Anyway, hat review focussed too much on that, I think, and too little on the interesting parts -- although she mentions them, up to revealing the ending (not that I'm against that, but I know many others who don't like it).
I was thinking a bit about the "intelligent apewoman". Really, it's just another human species. They live in the rainforest, but I don't think they are intended to be monkeys. Not any more than the indians in the Amazon, really.
The idea of rating books according to the morality level is somehow not my thing, In any case the idea of "adults only" puts me off. Really. (I might expand on that another day.) Maybe that's why I don't read "Christian" book reviews, they too often smell of censorship and a small closed-in "safe" world where I don't want to be locked up. This might seem to be a too strong reaction, but I'm just trying to explain how I feel about it.
Do I sound negative today? It might be too early in the morning.
I would find sex with an "intelligent ape woman" far more objectionable than "sex with a woman from a primitive tribe". There is such thing as bestiality.
I never liked the Ringworld books for that, that it assumed that sexual congress between species would be the highest form of communication. That is the ultimate non-reproductive sex, and it assumes that all other species are a) always in heat - same as us b) non-dependent on smell cues as to desirable partners. If Larry Niven wanted that inter-species sex so much, he should have made it more generic and made it to apply across the barrier of gender too. That he prefers inter-species sex strictly between male and female shows that he is moved by prurience - because if a dog should desire sex with a cat, it would not matter whether the cat was male or female - the big barrier is it being a cat.
I'm with Aka.
Also, I thought Sunshine was fair. Definitely no blockbuster. I liked its style, but I think it lacked real substance.
Post a Comment