Friday, March 07, 2008

The Road to Cana

The second volume of Anne Rice's Christ the Lord has come out! It's reviewed here. I quite enjoyed the first volume, Out of Egypt.

Rice's pre-conversion work isn't exactly sf/f, but hey, again I say 'close enough!' And this is interesting... Rice writes: "Yes, I am contemplating one last novel involving the Vampire Lestat, and the Talamasca, the fictional organization I created years ago in the Vampire novels. The novel, if ever written, would be entirely Christian in framework and would involve Redemption."

I haven't read anything by Rice aside from Out of Egypt, so I really have no idea what a redemptive Vampire novel would be like.

4 comments:

Jeff Miller said...

Disputations had a good review of the book. He was not expecting to like it, though after receiving a review copy thought it quite good.

http://disputations.blogspot.com/2008_02_01_archive.html#7006780602479679789

Anonymous said...

I liked Out of Egypt and will get Road to Cana at some point.

I wasn't so sure of the Gospel of Thomas references (clay birds to life) but it is a work of fiction, after all.

Clemens said...

I read most of her vampire novels. I liked them at first, but then they became repetitive - or seemed so to me. Rice could certainly lay on the creeping prose. I understand that at one time, under another name, she wrote lightly pornographic work and much of the vampire stuff works along that level.

Stoker's "Dracula" was clearly about repressed sexuality - or perhaps not so repressed.

Unknown said...

A redemptive vampire novel would be one in which the vampire repents and either a) is turned into dust while a light shines on him to show that he has been forgiven b) becomes human again, or c) lives on as a vampire, but behaving ethically and acting as protector rather than predator (think "Angel").

He could go the way of Henry Fitzroy of hte Tanya Huff novels, an ethical bloodrinker who is generically corteous and basically benevolent to those on whom he snacks casually, and strongly protective of those on whom he feeds regularly. Also given to prayer, going to confession on a regular basis, and trying to live like a good Catholic (except for the sexual promiscuity that serves as cover for his feeding).

That, and fighting demons when they threaten to break through.