Maybe this is old news, but I just learned that Ezekiel is the patron saint of gamers! Click to find out why.
Now I'm imagining Ezekiel moving plastic trays full of Warhammer models around a table covered with a green tablecloth and miniature terrain. He'd probably be playing against Jeremiah, or possibly Isaiah. The minor prophets would be off at another table playing Magic: The Gathering and getting into heated debates about rules.
Habbakuk: Look, obviously my Tetragrammaton card trumps your Admantine Colossus card.
Malachi: Yeah, well, I have a Tetragrammaton too.
Assorted Minor Prophets in Unison: Me too!!
Zephaniah: That's it, I'm going home to eat pizza and play Warcraft.
I remember a line in Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon, in which the programmer character speculates about a heavy-duty card gamer friend of his, who he sees is eyed with respect by other card gamers. The programmer imagines that his friend probably has super-powerful cards in his breast pocket, like "The Nuclear Arsenal of the USSR" or "YHWH."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I actually did an oil painting on this part of Ezekiel a while back called the "Siege of Jerusalem." At the time I was exploring the use of art within the prophetic but the relation to gaming never occurred to me. Interesting.
Heh. All of us gamers are a Terrible Warning.
I should add that there's a group of really old school (or grognard, I suppose is the term) wargamers who attend Origins each year, who have an newsletter they've put out since days of yore and headed with a citation this passage. But they just cite it without writing out the content, so I'm afraid I never had realized what they were getting at. (If you just give me a Bible citation with nothing to hang it on, the chances I'll remember to look it up are nil.)
So it's not a recent discovery, or originally figured out by me. I'm just trying to publicize it, after fiiiiiiiinally having figured it out a couple years back. It would have saved us gamers a lot of trouble with the anti-D&D folks back in the day.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=33&chapter=4&version=31
It starts there but it ends with cannibalism and god chasing you with a sword.
Not my type of warhammer.
Sounds like most Khorne Chaos or Orc players I've known, though...
Appreciate you bloggingg this
Post a Comment