Monday, December 11, 2006

Book Review - Trackers

by Kathryn Mackel. WestBow, 2006. 311 p.

Trackers returns us to the half-ruined world of the Birthright Project, picking up with our young heroes shortly after Outriders left off. Brady is in charge, Ajoba is in trouble, and both Timothy and Niki are in love with people they can’t have.

As before their foes are twisted “mogs” (modified animals) and the power-hungry leaders of Traxx. But there is a new enemy: a demonic presence has begun manipulating events in a bid to destroy Horesh and even the hidden Ark itself. The trackers and outriders find themselves caught up in a complex web of subterfuge and ever-increasing violence.

Trackers is quite a bit darker than Outriders, with instances of torture and rape added to the fighting of the first volume. Though this is marketed as a ‘young adult’ book, I would not recommend it to younger teens. Still, these elements aren’t gratuitous, but stem from Mackel’s depiction of the unglamorous reality of evil. There’s also a sense of heightened moral danger: the young characters are not only battered physically, but are faced with extremely difficult decisions.

As with Outriders, there were a few places in Trackers that seemed rushed, as though drafted sections had been left unrevised. Nevertheless, I kept getting caught up by the twists and turns of the compelling story. It’s hard not to care what happens to these characters. There are also several vision sequences involving demonic enemies which are chillingly surreal.

Mackel’s story will appeal primarily to Christians who will recognize and respond to her biblical symbolism (this time the story of Moses makes an appearance). Her approach seemed less specifically evangelical in this volume, with one exception: I’m not sure all Christians would identify doubt as the primal sin which gave rise to all others. (What about pride, disobedience, or selfishness?) All in all, though, I enjoyed this spiritual tale and look forward to reading the final book in the Birthright trilogy.*

3.5 out of 5

*And there had better be one, too, Mr. Publisher!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, the primal sin was stealing other people's stuff. Or so says the thing I was just translating. "Rapina." It's a hard word for nabbing apples, but there you go.

Elliot said...

Hmm! I guess that's where 'rapine' comes from.